Adventures in Music
Recommended for grades 4 – 6
Adventures in Music is a comprehensive program designed to introduce students in grades 4 – 6 to the amazing world of symphonic music. This adventure is the musical event of the year for thousands of Manitoba students, showcasing a variety of styles of music while also providing opportunities for students and teachers to perform on stage with the WSO in mass choirs, string ensembles, and recorder ensembles. A curriculum-based Study Guide with wide-ranging lesson plans and activities in both official languages is provided to teachers upon registration to introduce the concert repertoire and the orchestra to students in the classroom and prepare them for a truly exciting experience. Adventures in Music is presented in both official languages.
BACH TO THE FUTURE
A fascinating adventure through music & time for ways to be better stewards of this planet
This adventure through time begins at Centennial Concert Hall in April, 2024 where students will quickly find themselves whisked through musical time, exploring orchestral music by many of the great symphonic composers through time and from across the globe. Students will learn through music how we can be good stewards and take better care of this great planet we call home.
- Wednesday, April 3, 2024 @ 10:30am (SOLD OUT)
- Wednesday, April 3, 2024 @ 1:00pm (limited availability)
- Thursday, April 4, 2024 @ 10:30am (SOLD OUT)
- jeudi le 4 avril, 2024 @ 13h00 (EN FRANÇAIS – good availability)
Location: Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall, 555 Main St. Winnipeg
Monica Chen, conductor
Student Recorder Ensembles
Student String Ensembles
- Early-bird: $7 /student
Submit your online order form and payment for Adventures in Music and/or Musical Discoveries in by Thursday, November 30, 2023 to qualify for early-bird pricing.
- Regular: $8 /student
- Chaperones: One chaperone for every ten students receives complimentary admission. Additional chaperones and volunteers are $10.
Chaperones: One chaperone per 10 students is required and admitted free of charge (including teacher). Special needs assistants are admitted free of charge. Any additional chaperones are $10 each (tax included). Note: All chaperones must arrive and be seated with their school (this includes any parent volunteers).
Parents & guests of students: $20 each (tax included, ticket fees apply per ticket), available beginning in March, 2024 – online, by phone at 204.949.3999 or in-person at the WSO Box Office, 555 Main St. Please refer to the information provided by your school music teacher regarding which concert your child is performing at; the box office does not have this information.
MOC LISTENING WORKSHOP FOR TEACHERS
Date: Thursday, January 18, 2024
Time: 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Location: Louis Riel School Division Legacy Centre, 900 St. Mary’s Road
The WSO is proud to partner with the Manitoba Orff Chapter to present this Listening Workshop. Come prepared to dance, sing, play instruments and laugh as presenters introduce the concert repertoire through music and presentations of the corresponding lesson plans along with tips, tricks and best-practices to help you and your students have an exciting Adventure in Music with the WSO.
This daytime session will highlight the Adventures in Music program for the 2023-24 season.
Registration will open soon. Click below for more info on the MOC website:
- The digital Study Guide is provided in both English and French, and includes comprehensive lesson plans and orchestra guide for both programs. Study guides will continue to be available exclusively as a digital download in convenient PDF format along with digital audio recordings. These resources are included free-of-charge with your ticket order or your Listening Workshop registration.
- If you have placed an order or registered for the MOC Listening Workshop, we will send you an e-mail with a confirmation/receipt and a download link for the study guide and digital audio examples when they are ready in December.
- This year’s Bach to the Future study guide is currently under development and will be available mid-late December, in advance of MOC’s January Listening Workshops.