Adventures in Music
Recommended for grades 4 – 6
Adventures in Music is a comprehensive program designed to introduce students in grades 4 – 6 to the amazing world of symphonic music. This adventure is the musical event of the year for over 12,000 Manitoba students; showcasing a variety of styles of music and providing opportunities for students and teachers to perform on stage with the WSO in student movement ensembles, as well as in string and recorder ensembles. A curriculum-based Study Guide with wide-ranging lesson plans and activities in both official languages is provided to teachers upon registration to introduce the concert repertoire and the orchestra to students in the classroom and prepare them for a truly exciting experience. Adventures in Music is presented in both official languages.
AVENGERS OF THE LOST ART
Join our adventure to explore the fascinating world of music and art!
Bring your students to Centennial Concert Hall to help the WSO and Manitoba’s prime superhero, Captain Manitoba, avenge some clever art thieves. Together we will explore the fascinating relationship between music and art through story with excerpts from Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition along with some other really super musical selections including music by Chickasaw composer Jerod Tate, Manitoba songwriter & composer Craig Cassils, Joseph Boulogne Saint-Georges – a contemporary of Mozart, and WSO Composer-in-Residence Harry Stafylakis.
This year’s adventure will be made even more exciting with performances by Canadian children’s entertainer Mr. Mark, professional dancers, student movement, recorder, and string ensembles, and of course the full WSO led by Naomi Woo! We might just have some other tricks up our sleeves too…
Wednesday, April 12, 2023 @ 10:30am – SOLD OUT Wednesday, April 12, 2023 @ 1:00pm – SOLD OUT Thursday, April 13, 2023 @ 10:30am – SOLD OUT
- jeudi le 13 avril, 2023 @ 13h00 (EN FRANÇAIS)
Location: Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall, 555 Main St. Winnipeg
- Early-bird: $7 /student
Submit your online order form and payment for Adventures in Music and/or Musical Discoveries in by Friday, October 28, 2022 to qualify for early-bird pricing.
- Regular: $8 /student
- Chaperones: One chaperone for every ten students receives complimentary admission. Additional chaperones and volunteers are $10.
- Parents & guests of students:$20 each (tax included, ticket fees apply per ticket), available beginning in April, 2023 – online, by phone at 204.949.3999 or in-person at the WSO Box Office, 555 Main St. Please refer to the information provided by your school music teacher regarding which concert your child is performing at; the box office does not have this information.
- Credits & pricing from the cancelled concerts in 2020 will be honoured.
Chaperones: One chaperone per 10 students is required and admitted free of charge (including teacher). Special needs assistants are admitted free of charge. Any additional chaperones are $10 each (tax included). Note: All chaperones must arrive and be seated with their school (this includes any parent volunteers).
Parents & guests of students: $20 each (tax included, ticket fees apply per ticket), available beginning in April, 2023 – online, by phone at 204.949.3999 or in-person at the WSO Box Office, 555 Main St. Please refer to the information provided by your school music teacher regarding which concert your child is performing at; the box office does not have this information.
MOC LISTENING WORKSHOP FOR TEACHERS
Date: January 11, 2023
Time: 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Location: LRSD Legacy Centre, 900 St. Mary’s Rd., Winnipeg, MB
The WSO is proud to partner with the Manitoba Orff Chapter to present the Listening Workshops. Come prepared to dance, sing, play instruments and laugh as presenters introduce the concert repertoire through music and presentations of the corresponding lesson plans along with tips, tricks and best-practices to help you and your students have an exciting Adventure in Music with the WSO.
This daytime session will highlight the Adventures in Music program for the 2022-23 season.
Registration is now open! Click below to register on the MOC website:
- The digital Study Guide is provided in both English and in French and includes comprehensive lesson plans and orchestra guide for both programs, will continue to be available exclusively as a digital download in convenient PDF format along with digital audio recordings. These resources are included free-of-charge with your ticket order or your Listening Workshop registration.
- If you have placed or order or registered for the Listening Workshop, we will send you an e-mail after September 19th with a confirmation/receipt and a download link for the study guide and digital audio examples.