The Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra is committed to increasing access to symphonic music by providing exceptional musical experiences in an inclusive environment.
Relaxed Experiences are designed to make artistic spaces more welcoming and comfortable for neuro-diverse audience members, anyone on the autism spectrum, and people with sensory and/or communication disorders or learning disabilities. However, everyone can enjoy and benefit from the relaxed concert environment, including parents with babies and toddlers, individuals with Tourette’s syndrome, anyone who experiences anxiety, and folks who would simply like a more relaxed, easygoing atmosphere when attending a concert!
How are Relaxed Performances Different?
- Patrons can come and go from the concert at any time they wish
- Patrons are welcome to respond to the music in any way they would like – clapping, singing, vocalizing, moving, dancing, and so on are all encouraged and welcomed
- Audience members will have advance access to a Visual Experience Guide that details the experience, step-by-step, and an event-specific Musical Experience Guide with detailed information about the event format and the music being rehearsed/performed itself (see links below)
- Seats at both the front and the back of the hall will be kept available for guests who wish to move closer or farther away from the sound of the Orchestra on stage
- Patrons will have access to a quiet room furnished with comfortable seating, stress-relieving fidgets, and relaxing activities
- The WSO will provide access to earplugs and sound-dampening headphones for anyone who may wish to utilize them
- Additional assistive supports will be available in the lobby for anyone who needs them, including wheelchairs, assistive listening devices, fidgets, colouring sheets, and many wonderful volunteers who are experienced in guiding and supporting relaxed experiences.
- Special interactive pre-concert activities will allow audience members to get up-close and personal with elements of the symphonic experience
Check back soon for information on the 22-23 season!
- Saturday, March 12, 2022 (12:30 pm): Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade Listening Guide
The Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra acknowledges the Access2 Card at all regular performances. The Access2 program provides a dignified and positive symphony experience for individuals with disabilities who require the support of a caregiver. Program participants receive Access2 wallet cards which allow simple identification, removing the onus to explain their need for a caregiver. The WSO will provide valid Access2 cardholders, upon purchase of a ticket for themselves, complimentary admission for their caregiver. To learn more about the Access2 program visit www.access2card.ca
Brent Johnson, Associate Director, Education & Community
Phone: (204) 949-3967
To order group tickets for Relaxed Concerts please contact:
Phone: (204) 949-3999