Many Canadians support charitable organizations through future gifts from their estates. A gift in a will is a direction that instructs your Executor(s)/Trustee(s) to leave one or more of your assets to the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra. A gift in a will is a way to support the WSO while helping you achieve significant tax savings for your estate. A gift in a will is a meaningful way to reduce your taxes, increase inheritances to your loved ones and make a difference.
A Gift in Your Will – The Benefits to You
- Convenient – A gift in a will can be made no matter how old you are and can be for any amount you want.
- Simple – A gift in a will is easy to arrange. Simply instruct your lawyer to include the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra in your Will.
- Cost-effective – There are no extra out-of-pocket costs. Your present income will not decrease.
- Tax Relief – A gift in a will is a highly effective way to reduce estate taxes.
- Tax Planning – the WSO will issue a charitable tax receipt for the full value of your donation. This receipt will be used to reduce the tax payable on your final tax return. If your donation exceeds 100% of your net income, the excess may be carried back to the previous tax year.
- Flexible – Your bequest can be for a specific amount, a percentage of your estate, or the residue of your estate – that is a gift after your debts have been paid and other bequests made.
- Control – You retain use of the charitable gift asset for the duration of your lifetime.
- Peace of Mind – You can make changes to your will at any time.
- Satisfaction – Planned gifts are made for personal reasons in addition to ensuring that the WSO continues its commitment to providing exceptional musical experiences for Manitobans. As well, your donation can create a lasting memorial for you, your family or anyone you may wish to honour.
For the greatest flexibility in meeting urgent needs, the WSO prefers bequests to be unrestricted. However, if you wish to designate your gift, we are happy to discuss that option with you. To enable us to use designated donations from a will as intended yet accommodate the unforeseen, please see our sample will clauses.
Please Seek Expert Advice: The WSO strongly recommends that you seek professional advice to ensure your financial goals are considered, your tax situation reviewed, and that your legacy gift is tailored to your circumstances. The WSO recommends that you consult your lawyer or estate planner regarding the specific wording of any gift in a will.
For further information, please call Beth Proven at (204) 949-3989 or email email@example.com.