The Musical Discoveries program is designed for our youngest school audiences in grades 1 – 3. Here, they discover a magical world of great music and story enhanced by visual entertainers and plenty of surprises. A comprehensive, Orff-focused, curriculum-based Study Guide is provided to teachers to prepare and deepen their students’ experience in anticipation of this highly engaging symphonic introduction.
THE MYSTERIOUS MAESTRO
A mysterious story of orchestral discovery – help Hannah and the maestro save the orchestra and fill the town with music once again!
Your students will discover the orchestra through this mysterious concert-story about a little girl who loves to sing but lives in the town of Hamelin, where music is now forbidden 30 years after the infamous Pied Piper has led all of Hamelin’s children away. Hannah changes all that as she melts the heart of a desperate conductor and frees his imprisoned orchestra and brings music back to the town. This bewitching concert features great classical and newly composed music, stunning puppets and the Maestro’s carved hands by The Old Trout Puppet Workshop.
- Monday, March 15, 2021 @ 10:30am & 1:00pm
- Tuesday, March 16, 2021 @ 10:30am
Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall, 555 Main St. Winnipeg
Naomi Woo, RBC assistant conductor & host
Dandi Productions, theatre company
- Students (Musical Discoveries Order Form):
- Early Bird (until October 30): $7 each (includes 5% GST)
- Regular (after October 30): $8 (includes 5% GST)
- Chaperones: One chaperone per 10 students is required and admitted free of charge (including teacher). Special needs assistants are admitted free of charge. Any additional chaperones are $10 each (tax included).
Note: All chaperones must arrive and be seated with their school (this includes any parent volunteers).
- Parents & guests of students:
- Adults: $20 advance / $25 at the door (includes taxes & fees)
- Children: $10 advance / $15 at the door (includes taxes & fees)
- Available online in February, 2021
- By phone at 204.949.3999
- In-person at the WSO Box Office, 555 Main St.
Note: Please refer to the information provided by your school music teacher regarding which concert your child is performing at; the box office does not have this information.
- Ticket Policy: Should a refund be required, credits with the WSO Box Office will be issued.
- June 30, 2020 – Bach to School eligibility deadline
- October 30, 2020 – Early Bird Price Deadline
2020 MOC Listening Workshops for Teachers
Date TBD (check back later this spring)
8:30am – 4:00pm (Adventures in Music) (TBC)
3:30pm – 7:00pm (Musical Discoveries) (TBC)
Louis Riel School Division Board Office, 900 St Mary’s Road (Legacy Centre Room) (TBC)
The WSO is proud to partner with the Manitoba Orff Chapter to present two Listening Workshops. Come prepared to dance, sing, play instruments and laugh as presenters introduce the concert repertoire through music and presentations of the corresponding lesson plans along with tips, tricks and best-practices to help you and your students have an exciting Adventure in Music with the WSO.
The daytime session will highlight the Adventures in Music: Avengers of the Lost Art program and the evening session will cover the Musical Discoveries: The Mysterious Maestro concerts for the 2020-21 season. MOC Website.
- 2020-21 Adventures in Music Brochure (check back later this spring)
- 2020-21 Adventures in Music Order Form
- 2020 WSO-MOC Listening Workshop Form (check back later this spring)
Program Inquiries: Brent Johnson, WSO Education and Community Engagement Manager at (204) 949-3967 or e-mail for more information.
Order, Seating & Payment Inquiries: Please email, fax, or drop off your order form at the WSO Box Office, c/o Jeffrey Acosta (Group & Education Events Coordinator) at (204) 949-3995 or e-mail for more information.