Updated March 24, 2020
Like many arts organizations, the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra’s upcoming concerts and events have been dramatically impacted by COVID-19. Currently the province of Manitoba is encouraging the cancellation of all events with more than 50 people.
The WSO is committed to the health and safety of everyone attending, performing in, or working at our concerts at the Centennial Concert Hall. We will continue to closely monitor the global response to the COVID-19 situation and are continuing to rely on evidence-based information published by the Government of Manitoba and the Government of Canada. For information on the Centennial Concert Hall COVID-19 updates and policies, click here.
In light of the ongoing pandemic, the WSO has made the difficult decision to cancel concerts scheduled until May 31, 2020.
The Netherlands Tour is also been tentatively rescheduled to May 2022.
WSO Concerts and events currently impacted:
- Troupe Vertigo (Mar 13 – 15): Cancelled
- Shostakovich’s Sixth Symphony (Mar 20): Cancelled
- Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto (Mar 20 & 21): Cancelled
- Manitoba Opera’s Carmen (Mar 28 & 31, Apr 3): Cancelled
For ticket options, visit mbopera.ca
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire™ in Concert (Apr 4 & 5): Rescheduled to Sep 25 & 26
- WMC McLellan Competition for Solo Performance (Apr 15): Cancelled
For ticket options, visit womensmusicalclubofwpg.ca
- Crazy for You: in Concert (Apr 17 – 19): Cancelled
- WSO Spring Gala (Apr 20): Postponed until a later date
- Beethoven’s 5th & Berlioz (Apr 24 & 25): Cancelled
- The Songs Remain the Same – The Music of Led Zeppelin (May 15 & 16): Cancelled
- WSO Netherlands Tour (May 2020): Tentatively rescheduled to May 2022
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire™ in Concert, scheduled to take place April 4 & 5, have now been rescheduled for September 25 & 26, 2020 at the Centennial Concert Hall.
*Tickets for Apr 4, 7:30 pm will be valid for the Sep 26, 7:30 pm concert.
Tickets for Apr 5, 2:00 pm will be valid for Sep 25, 7:30 pm concert.
The WSO Box Office will contact current ticket holders regarding the rescheduled dates.
Box Office update:
The WSO Box Office (555 Main Street) is currently closed for in-person orders and exchanges for the immediate future. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 204-949-3999 and one of our staff will contact you directly as we are working remotely to address your ticket and donation requests.
Due to the high volume of requests, please be patient for a response as staff deal with this unprecedented situation.
There is no need to contact the Box Office immediately to exchange your tickets for cancelled performances immediately, as we will be honouring all exchanges and donations in the coming weeks.
Once dates for postponed concerts and events have been confirmed, Box Office staff will contact you by phone or email regarding your tickets.
The following options are available to ticket holders:
- Keep your tickets for postponed events (they will be valid for rescheduled concerts)
- Donate your ticket(s) back to the WSO for a charitable tax receipt
- Exchange your ticket(s) for a voucher to a future concert
Help the WSO stay strong
The health and economic impact of COVID-19 to the WSO is significant and your support today is more important than ever. As a non-profit arts organization, the WSO relies on the people we serve in our community. Each week your Symphony is closed has a profound impact on our ability to share symphonic music with you and our community.
Please consider the role music plays in your life and support the WSO with a donation of any amount today or return your tickets to cancelled concerts for a charitable tax receipt.
With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and with the orchestra’s health and safety first and foremost in mind, the tour has been tentatively rescheduled to May 2022.
The WSO’s travel partner, Great Canadian Travel Co., will be in contact with individuals who planned on attending the tour with additional details shortly.
The Netherlands government recently banned any public gatherings of more than 100 people until June 1, 2020. The WSO is in communication with concert presenters and the halls in the Netherlands and Belgium regarding the rescheduled dates. As new information becomes available, we will communicate updates or changes.