The Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra (WSO) is a dynamic musical force serving Manitobans with excellent musical opportunities and experiences. The WSO is actively engaged in new program development, education and outreach, major concert series, and several festivals with the objective of delivering artistically excellent symphonic music at the highest level.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Corporate Secretary is responsible for providing administrative support to the Executive Director, Music Director and to the Board of Directors and Board Committees. The incumbent is also responsible for support to the administration related to scheduling and bookings, record keeping, contracting, selected procurement, some compliance and reporting, recruitment and onboarding.
Job Description: Key responsibilities of the Corporate Secretary are:
- Support the Executive Director:
- Coordinate all meetings, logistics and manage the diary of the Executive Director
- File and maintain paper/electronic files for the Executive Director and key documents for the corporation
- Executive Director’s correspondence and documentation as requested
- Other administrative support to the ED, communications, etc.
- Maintain a WSO calendar of events and meetings
- Support WSO staff and senior staff meetings as required.
- Support the Music Director:
- Provide administrative support to the Music Director as above.
- Support the Board of Directors:
- Provide administrative support to the activity of the WSO Board of Directors
- Research and compile information as requested related to Board business
- Coordinate Board, Executive and other Board Committee meetings
- Draft meeting agendas, compile materials and record minutes of the Board, Executive and other Board Committee meetings
- Arrange logistics and hospitality for meetings where required, along with technical and other meeting requirements
- Provide documentation of Board Committee meetings for audit purposes such as meeting dates, minutes, reports etc.
- Ensure corporate documents such as bylaws, board terms and other compliance requirements are current
- Coordinate the WSO Annual General Meeting in conjunction with the President and the Executive Director.
- General Administrative Duties:
- Manage offers, letters of employment, personnel and corporate contracts
- Manage selected onboarding of administrative staff and annual review processes
- Selected general administrative procurement
- Reception and receiving
- Assist with WSO events where required, for example in Front of House Concert shifts and fundraising
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will be mature and conscientious with strong interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to function effectively in a busy, creative, collegial and increasingly technology-driven office environment. He/she/they must have superior organization skills, strong written and oral proficiency and an excellent grasp of Microsoft Office programs. Experience with one or both of OPAS and the Tessitura Database is considered an asset but not a requirement. The candidate takes personal initiative, exercises judgment and seeks creative solutions to challenges. The candidate has an appreciation for the arts and understands the flexibility required to work in a creative, dynamic environment.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. WSO staff are eligible for a full benefits plan including matching RSP contribution program. The WSO offers excellence opportunities for professional growth and advancement within the organization.
To apply, please submit a letter and CV along with three references, to the attention of April Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that references will only be contacted following the interview process and in the eventuality of a potential offer.
The first intake of applicants will be reviewed August 2, 2022, however the WSO will continue to receive applications until the position is filled. The WSO is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.