The Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra is committed to developing and enhancing the Canadian orchestral community of conductors, composers, soloists, and orchestral players.
The WSO has secured funding to continue a third conducting position within the WSO artistic team. The focus of this position is to provide an opportunity for the musical development and career enhancement for female and non-binary orchestral conductors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting selected concerts in the Orchestra’s Kids Concerts series, education/community programs and regional touring. Participating in the WSO’s International New Music Festival. Working closely with the WSO’s artistic staff in applicable programming including assuming the camera music director responsibilities for the WSO live streaming.
- Music directorship of the WSO’s Sistema Winnipeg program in cooperation with the WSO’s Sistema Manager. Now in its 11th year, Sistema Winnipeg is a daily, intensive, music education program that helps children with the fewest resources and greatest need.
- Assistance to the music director and guest conductors as required at Masterworks rehearsals and concerts, plus covering responsibilities should the appointed conductor be absent due to illness or prior commitment.
- Conducting and directorship of the University of Manitoba Symphony Orchestra plus teaching selected graduate conducting students. There are two weekly Orchestra rehearsals and four concerts per academic year (September 1-April 30).
Requirements: Experienced applicants only, whose talent, integrity and vision comprise all aspects of concert preparation, presentation and performance to a wide variety of audiences. Strong preference will be given to female or non-binary applicants.Only Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada are invited to apply. Candidates must have excellent skills in English. French proficiency is desirable.
Residency: The assistant conductor will be resident in Winnipeg during the WSO’s regular season, normally from September through May plus a two-week summer season normally between mid-June and mid-July of each year of the appointment.
Salary: Canadian $45,000.00 plus benefits
The WSO will endeavor to assist the successful candidate in additional career opportunities.
Application requirements: Closing date November 18, 2022
- Link(s) to videos of yourself conducting, at least two contrasting styles, no more than 30 minutes.
- A cover letter or spoken video introduction
Four finalists will each conduct a 30-minute live audition in Winnipeg with the University of Manitoba orchestra on February 15, 2023 and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra on February 16, 2023. The WSO will provide accommodation on the night of February 15 to each finalist. Finalists will be contacted by December 2, 2022 and will receive audition details at that time. Further information on the WSO can be found at www.wso.ca.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate if they are from any of the following groups: Indigenous, visible minorities and persons with a disability.
Please note that you may also be interested in our showcase for Canadian Conductors, more information about which can be found HERE.
Please email materials to:
James Manishen, artistic advisor
Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra